Share your stories and insights in Life Afloat!
We’d love to include your stories, insights and information about living aboard on the West Coast of BC! Here’s an incomplete list of possible topics: boat/float home maintenance tips; favourite equipment (technical, navigational, cooking, entertainment, etc.); galley-wise recipes; recommendations for liveaboard-friendly marinas and businesses; your favourite cruising areas and anchorages; why you became a liveaboard; what qualities/assets you looked for when searching for your liveaboard boat or float home; your biggest liveaboard challenges and how you’ve resolved them (lessons learned); local issues and issues’ resolution (e.g., marina restrictions; anchoring restrictions, relations with land-based neighbours); etc. etc.
Email your articles and photos as separate attachments to the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org. Following the guidelines for text and photos (described below) will make the editorial team’s job easier. Thanks!
- Please do not format your story. Simple text in Word is easiest to edit. That means: single-spaced; no indentations at the beginning of paragraphs; no hard returns, except at the end of a paragraph; and no fancy word art.
- Please include a short ‘bio’: your name (and partner’s name, if applicable); boat name and type (e.g., Ballerina, Canoe Cove 41; Tap Dancer, Beneteau 33; Home Sweet Home, float home); your home port; and how long you’ve lived aboard (full or part time). We’d also appreciate an author photo!
Photographs enhance stories and provide detail in technical articles. We like photos!
- Featured image (the ‘cover’ photo for the article) should be in a 4:3 ratio, ideally 1200×900 pixels, and minimum 800×600.
- Author images should be square, ideally 600×600, and minimum 400×400 pixels.
- Images within the article should be square or landscape format, not portrait, and a minimum 800 pixel width.
- Jpeg (.jpg or .jpeg) is the preferred format for all photo submissions.
- Please send images as separate attachments (i.e., not embedded in your article). In your article, include instructions about where to place the images. For example:
- After thoroughly researching our options, we chose a float home. Liz and I envisioned a garden afloat! Insert image: Float home with garden deck.jpg
- Please include a brief, descriptive caption for each image (who, what, where, when). For example:
- After thoroughly researching our options, we chose a float home. Liz and I envisioned a garden afloat!
Insert image: Float home with garden deck.jpg.
Caption: Liz and Rob’s garden comprises six large containers for herbs, salad greens, squashes, root crops, and flowers.